WHO-FIC Committees and Reference Groups
Education and Implementation Committee (EIC)
Co-chairs: Cassia Buchalla (Brazil) and Sue Walker (Australia)
- Assist WHO and WHO-FIC with implementation in member states, an inventory of activities, training tools, ensure quality of data, certification programme, resources on the sharepoint site etc.
- A major current focus on development and distribution of a comprehensive set of resources to support ICD-10 training, in collaboration with the International Federation of Health Information Management Associations (IFHIMA; previously IFHRO).
Family Development Committee (FDC)
Co-chairs: Richard Madden (Australia) and Huib ten Napel (Netherlands)
- WHO-FIC logical structure, align classification for consistency and avoid duplication
- Major focus on the development of ICHI (International Classification of Health Interventions).
Informatics and Terminology Committee (ITC)
Co-chairs: Stefanie Weber (Germany) and Sukil Kim (Korea)
- Electronic use of classification; standardised terminologies and data exchange.
Update and Revision Committee (URC)
Co-chairs: Mea Renahan (North America) and Francesco Gongolo (Italy)
- Responsible for updates to ICD-10 and ICF, in consultation with the reference groups for these classifications. Updates for ICD-10 also take into account activities and requirements related to the development of ICD-11.
- Minor updates each year and major updates every 3 years.
Mortality Reference Group (MRG)
Co-chairs: Donna Hoyert (North America) and Patricia Woods (North America)
- The reference group for ICD mortality coding.
- Reviewed more than 350 revisions and took 250 decisions during the 2010 meetings.
Morbidity Reference Group (MbRG)
- The reference group for ICD morbidity coding.
- Split from the mortality reference group some years ago after the combined workload became too big.
- This group is currently in recess, due to the fact that the focus is on morbidity coding for ICD-11. This group has therefore been effectively replaced by the ICD-11 MbTAG (Morbidity Topic Advisory Group). Donna Pickett is a co-chair of the MbTAG.
Functioning and Disability Reference Group (FDRG)
Co-chairs: Ros Madden (Australia) and Gerold Stucki (Germany)
- The reference group for ICF.
- Working on coding guidelines, ICF updates, ICF implications for ICD, measurement and statistics uses of ICF, educational materials, ethical applications, environmental factors.